OUTLOOK ON PARALEGAL JOBS:
- CareerCast.com suggests that Paralegals are actually getting better job rankings than a lawyer for overall preferred job benefits to demands.
- CNNMoney.com ranked the paralegal profession 14th in the Top 20 jobs for “people who want more pay, more upside and more control over where they're going.” Outlook is good for this through 2014.
Paralegals, might be also called legal assistants and they are skillled in assisting lawyers and attorneys in service delivery in corporations, law firms, government and legal practice speciality environments, reporting to a lawyer. Paralegals do prepare legal papers, documentation, research, programs, and projects but they do not give legal advice, represent a client in court, establish legal fees or sign documents filed with the court.
Paralegal work often entails work in support of assisting attorneys legal matters, process, and resolution. They investigate the facts of a case; interview clients and witnesses; perform legal research; draft pleadings, deposition notices, subpoenas, motions, briefs, discovery and other legal documents; organize and manage files, documents and exhibits; file documents with federal and state courts; and assist at hearings, arbitrations, mediations, administrative proceedings, closings and trials.
KEY SKILLS OF A PARALEGAL: Core Competencies
- Critical Thinking
- Priority/Client Organizational Skills
- General Written Oral, Spoken and Listening Communications with clients, lawyers, witnesses, etc.
- Legal Research and Legal Writing Skills
- Computer Skills Spreadsheet, Program Management, Time/Billing, Research, online search, database search, organization, entry, management, computerized litigation, documentation management, electronic filing.
- Interviewing/Research and Investigation Skills.
- Legal Careers Certification Guide: http://legalcareers.about.com/od/educationandtraining/a/certification.htm
DAY IN THE LIFE:
- National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA)
- National Federation of Paralegal Associations
- American Bar Association Paralegal Certification Programs
Strategy Training: Brand Diversification:
FEEDBACK: Share stories on how to enter the paralegal field with or without certification.. What do you recommend to be successful? Any books, skills or networks that can help you get into this field and succeed? Love to have you comments or recommendations.
HFCN Job Search | Facebook Jobs n Career Success | Facebook HFCN Page |
HD Professional Development Skills /Success Library